- 2 Tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1 Serrano pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin-coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 6 cloves crushed
- 3 pods of cardamom, shells removed and seeds crushed
- 4 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 20-oz. can ripe jack-fruit in syrup, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Heat the oil in a pot on medium heat. When the oil is hot add the onions. Cook the onions (stirring occasionally) until they have softened and are translucent. Then add the garlic, ginger, green chile and cook for a minute. Add the chili powder, cumin-coriander powder, turmeric powder and crushed cloves and cardamom and stir for a minute.
Add the chopped jack-fruit, ketchup and lemon juice. Stir and cover and cook on a medium low for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. When done remove the cover add the salt and cook for another minute and serve.